Monday, December 29, 2008

WHY?

The question is why? But it's not the why you may be thinking. It's not why is this happening? Or why me? No...the why I am referring to is why I am not broken about my dad's cancer and why I have such a peace, and most importantly why I believe what I believe. From the beginning I said I would never ask God why, because this is life and this stuff just happens. God does not want this stuff to happen to us but this is the way the world is from the moment sin entered into the world in the Garden of Eden. So I never will ask why, but I have had some ask me why I've acted the way I've acted. Well let me start by giving my God all the glory and credit. I feel He has prepared me for this and is walking me through this every step of the way...and at moments even carrying me. Now don't get me wrong, I am terribly upset about my daddy being sick. I beg God every day to perform a miracle on him because I do NOT want to lose him. I love my daddy! However, I know the Lord may choose not to heal him on this earth and if that's what happens I am excited for my daddy. Why? Because on Easter Sunday 2001 my daddy finally accepted the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ. He walked from the back row of the balcony at First Baptist Church all the way down the steps to the very front of the church where he asked God to forgive him of his sins, and be Lord of his life. Romans 6:22-23 says, "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." My dad finally accepted that he was a sinner, that he had made mistakes in life, and that he will forever make mistakes, but that our God is bigger than any mistake he has or will ever make. Romans 3:23, "For ALL have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God." Dad realized that God is a forgiving and loving God. We had told dad over and over for years that he's not in control of fixing his problems, that all he has to do is lay them before God and He will take care of them. That day, that Easter Sunday, that was the greatest day of my life. Prayer after prayer had been lifted up to God about my dad....and on that particular day, I watched my dad's heart walk straight into God's hands. Because of that day I do truly find excitement in knowing that at some point (maybe sooner maybe later) my daddy will also walk straight into God's hands.
Dad has a relationship with God now, and I believe it grows deeper and deeper every day. Why? Because my daddy told my mom that if one person gets saved and comes to know the Lord Jesus Christ through this, then every bit of it will be worth it. Now that's a man who knows God!
I must be honest, I think my dad is praying for some in our family that do not know God as their personal Lord and Savior. I pray that through this they do see what dad has, what he didn't have a short 8 years ago. I pray that they will find faith through dad's strength, and I pray that God will let dad see his witness completed on this earth.
Revelation 4:8 is one of my favorite verses. "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come."

Jesus is coming back and I pray that my family will all get to go with Him when He does. But for now, I know my dad will be going with him, and that's why...that's why I rejoice now.

2 comments:

LoriGrauso said...

Laura:

All I can say is that was simply beautiful! What wonderful grace and dignity you speak of. A grace that is free to all if we only ask.

We know not what the future holds but we know WHO holds our future.

God bless you and your family.

Loretta

LoriGrauso said...

Haven't seem a posting and just wondering how Doug is doing?