Saturday, January 3, 2009

Kissing's Great......

Until you get mono!!! :) I'm not sure if I gave it to Eric or if he gave it to me but either way...it stinks!!

I had been aching all over for about two weeks and I finally decided to go to the walk in clinic on Dec. 27th. That was a mistake. The P.A. who came across as a Doctor with the white coat and all and never corrected me when I called him a Doctor, walked in, listened to my chest and told me, "You have a bug, here I'll write you an antibiotic just in case you're contagious." WHAT!!!?? I don't want an antibiotic unless I know what I'm taking it for. The main reason I went in was because I wanted to make sure it was ok for me to be around my dad. But I still would like for someone to tell me what's wrong with me. So I proceeded to ask the "Doctor" if he could do a CBC and a flu swab. He said they could check my blook but that he didn't think they could test for the flu there, then proceeded to turn around and ask the nurse, to which she replied, "Yes we can do that here." What?!! He didn't know the tests they could run? Ok so anyway...the CBC came back negative, as did the flu....so he walked back in and there again told me I had a bug. I was more than a little upset by this point...I walked out with utter distaste.

Two days later, I went in to see Dr. Voytik for my MRI results..which were good! I mentioned my achiness and exhaustion to him, he said I might need to get checked for mono. Since I don't have a regular doctor at the moment and felt like this was something I urgently needed to know b/c of my dad, I went to our kid's doctor and asked if he would test me. Sure enough the tests were POSITIVE! He told me to have Eric come in and get tested as well, and his were positive as well. Ok, so at this point I was irrate at the walk in clinic! This is something they should have known to test for...I could continue on a soap box about this walk in clinic, but I will leave this for your imagination :) Let's just say I hurried back over there...test results in hand!

So as soon as I got the result, my stomach dropped! What if I infected dad somehow? I mean I haven't kissed him or eaten , or drank after him, but what if the kids had gotten it from us and they gave it to him. I did not have the nerve to tell him, so mom did. So far he seems ok but mono has an incubbation period of 4-6 weeks, so we'll just pray that he stays ok!!

As far as Eric and I are concerned, well we still feel achey and tired. Eric was supposed to work with a friend all week and didn't get to do that...we've pretty much just been laying around as much as possible. Hopefully it will lighten up soon.

Ok so back to dad...
Dad had his 2nd round of chemo on Tuesday and seems to be doing well so far. He's had a few good days. He still has trouble eating but at least he has times where he wants to eat. I took him yesterday morning to the hospital to get IVs. It was a special time, that I'm so glad I got. We talked and laughed, and of course I cried. I tried for him to not notice but he finally did and he just held my hand. I looked around at all the people in there. There are so many people affected by cancer. I looked at the wives sitting beside their husbands and the husbands sitting beside their wives and prayed that they would not lose their mate. Then I saw the ones that were in there all alone and thanked God for friends and family who love us. If you are healthy and you have someone who loves you, take time to thank God today.

My grandmother, uncles, and cousin came in this weekend to visit with dad. I think that has perked him up a little...it's nice to see him laugh and smile.

4 comments:

LoriGrauso said...

Laura:

That was so sweet!!! The part about you and your Dad shedding a few tears. Hey, it is okay for you to cry and also let your Dad see you cry. That means you both have feelings. It really touched my heart and I could just picture you too and the tears rolling down your face and down Doug's face. This will be a moment in time you will never forget. It also means the barrier between daughters and dads are broken down and the true feelings come out. You should see each other cry. I know that Doug would much rather you shed a few tears than you sit morbidly as a "steel magnolia." No pun intended.

I am glad that Doug is doing okay. Also glad that the relatives got to come in to visit. Debbie told me you and Holly have helped with some housework for her. GOOD for you guys! Team work. I know Debbie would do for you, so please help all you can. I have always felt better if just the kitchen and bathrooms were clean. Keep up the good work. Besides, while you are cleaning Deb's house, the guys can clean your house. Works out great both ways.

Thanks for the postings. Hope you and Eric feel better soon. I don't think you can catch unless you eat or drink after each other, but like you said, who knows where the little hands and feet have been. LOL

Take care and we love ya,
Aunt Loretta
and Joe

Unknown said...

Hi Aunt Loretta, thanks for your sweet post, but I wanted to make one correction...it was only me that cried...Dad just held my hand. It was a tender moment that I will cherish forever. Thanks again for always reading! :)

Angela said...

Laura,
Sorry you have mono and I hope your dad doesn't get sick. But, I have to say, you have some of the most hilarious stories!!! Love ya lots, Angela Bishop

Meghan said...

I hope you guys feel better soon!!! My husband had that in high school and missed like 3 months his senior year. Not fun.