Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dinner, Dad, and Damage!

What a wonderful night! I had looked forward to this night ALL week. My friend Dedra, offered earlier in the week to keep the kids so I could do...well...anything I wanted to do. Well orginally Eric was scheduled to have a wrestling match, but that got canceled which made me all the more excited! We dropped the kids off around 5:30 and Emma was more than excited, she kept saying all day, "I go to my friends house; Josie! Kate! (and Anna of course)."
We then headed off to a free meal (courtesy of the CMS football parents) at Olivers..which by the way was delicious, I recommend the Shrimp Bake!! Eric and I had a nice time talking and eating (ALONE)..lol.
After dinner, I wanted to go spend some time with Dad. We stopped at Chick-Fil-A and got him a cup of vanilla icecream, but when we got there he didn't want it. I hated it for him, but Eric sure did enjoy it for himself :) It was such a nice visit, just to be able to sit and talk without any interruptions. Our neighbor Doris made Dad two different meals that dad had requested. Once he decided he was ready to eat, he only ate 4 or 5 bites, and his hand shook while he ate. That made me sad. He gave the rest to mom and layed back in his chair and pulled the blanket on top of him. He was cold. Don't get me wrong, it was an extremely nice visit, but I don't like seeing my dad like this. My dad is a strong, independent, if you want something done do it yourself kinda man. I held back my emotions tonight; there's no room for emotions when you are trying to breath every minute in. Emotions are for later. It is now later.
On a funny note...all though you may not think it's funny..but if you knew my dad's sense of humor well then you would understand...My dad said he didn't want to die a horrible, painful death, I told him not to worry, if he got to that point, I would just shoot him! He gave me a smile and a thumbs up! ;) Hey I'll do anything for a smile these days! LOL
After we left dad's, we went to Kohl's to attempt to finish our Christmas shopping. We succeeded, which is where the damage part comes in. I do still have dad left to buy for, but I haven't decided what to get him yet. I want something that will be practical for what he is going through. So if you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

All in all tonight was just wonderful!
Tomorrow Eric has class and then we are going to Rock City to see the Enchanted Garden of Lights...this will be the first year Emma actually understands what's going on! I cannot wait to watch her expressions and hear what she has to say. Everytime we see lights she says, "LOOK! Christmas!!"

2 comments:

Mrs. Southern said...

I'm sure your dad would be grateful with anything you got him. He has been in my prayers but you guys have to, it must be stressful and emotionally difficult for you all.

Just a thought, I'm not creative but just thinking off the top of my head...

What if you got a blank canvas from hobby lobby and found a scripture or a quote that means a lot to your family or your Dad, you could put his hand print in the middle with your moms and then you guys could put yours and grandkids all around it and then give him the finished product.

I always think gifts from the heart mean the most! :)

LoriGrauso said...

Laura:

I am praying that Doug regains some strength and am glad that he has you and Eric to keep his spirits up.

I found a gift for Joe so he can fish without leaving the house. I can't remembere where we got this hand-held game but it was either at Toyrus or Kmart or Walmart. You might have to call around to see. The game is hand-held (runs with batteries) and you literally fish. You take the game and actually hold and throw as if you were casting. You can configue the game for what kind of fish you want to catch, the depth of the water, etc. Joe loves his, and he is not a big fisherman, but we bought one year when we ran out of gift ideas. I think it cost less than $10.00. Great deal for the hours of fun he had with it.

Just a thought and I might add better than braving the cold weather, dragging the boat out, etc.

Thanks for the posting, I read each day.

Love to all,
Aunt Loretta and Joe