Thursday, January 8, 2009

When it Rains, it Floods....

Seriously!...

Mom woke up this morning to a real musty smell in the air, she immediately knew. The downstairs was flooded. They rarely go down there, so they had not noticed over the last few days of non stop rain. that water was creeping into the basement. There was no standing water down there, but the carpet was completely soaked. She called me to see if our church at a DryVac she could borrow. (With all the medical bills they are incruing, she was trying to avoid the costs of Stanley Steamer or some other water sucker upper). I called the church, holding it together at first for dear Charlene, but when she transfered me to Matt, I lost it. Upset because when it rains, it pours, and this time it flooded! I explained the situation to Matt and shared with him that there was furniture that needed to be moved and dad obviously can't do it and mom is not strong enough (physically that is, she's proven to be strong enough emotionally!). I asked Matt if there were any men that could come help my parents. Eric would have come, but today was his first day back to school and really didn't need to leave. Matt immediately said, "No problem!" He said he would get some guys and the DryVac and they would take care of it! I hung up the phone and laid my head in my hands and just sobbed. This for several reasons. 1)It's hard to call someone up and ask them to help your parents because it solidifies the fact that dad can't do it. 2) I was completely humbled over the graciousness of the men in my church and 3) During the conversation with Matt, I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit so completely that I was able to just lay it there on Him.
1 John 3:18-20,24
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but in actions and in truth. This is then how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence....
"Those who obey His commands live in Him, and He in them. And this is how we know that He lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us."

Matt, Jerry, Tony, and Lawrence would never do or say anything to bring attention to themselves. But I wanted to publicly thank them for being like Christ to my family. I pray blessings on them and their families.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Oh, Laura! I just read your post - it's 3:56pm! I bowed my head and said a prayer for you and your family! Isn't is awesome to be a part of such a selfless body of believers! Praise God, He is truly incredible! I will continue to pray for you and for God to lift your spirits. I know it would be so easy to become discouraged during this difficult time. I love you and will continue to pray for you! Angela

LoriGrauso said...

Dear Laura;

Sometimes a good cry just makes you feel so much better so I am glad that you could do that. I know that the men who helped got a blessing to for being there when you needed the help.

Yes, when it rains it pours, so let's pray that you have made it through the "threes" and only good things will happen now. My basement has done that so I know how much trouble to dry things out. We finally keep a de-humifier and then had more gutters installed and finally (knock on wood) so far so good. But, I must admit that when it rains for this long, I do tend to check constantly for leaks. It is strange how it never happened if it only rained for two days but anything after that we were in for more trouble.

Keep prayiing, keep crying if it helps.

God Bless and we will continue to pray for all of you.

Aunt Loretta

LoriGrauso said...

Laura;

I forgot to mention that my prayer group is still praying for a miracle for Doug. I know that miracles do happen. I watched 20/20 last night and was uplifted to hear of Patrick Swazye' battle with cancer and he was only given a few months and that was a year ago. Praise God and that is exactly what he is doing. He plans to beat this thing and I pray that he does.

I am concerned that you are feeling down, but tomorrow is another day and with the Lord's help you will get through this.

I too cry Laura when I pray at night and I am desperately trying to be more of a Christian only because I am afraid if I do or say anything un-christian like my prayers may not be answered. So...that is a good thing anytime something happens that makes you a better Christian.

Please let us know how Doug's scan went when you can.

Kisses,
Aunt Loretta