Monday, January 26, 2009

The Pearl

With everything else that happened today I almost forgot to tell you about the pearl. Saturday afternoon Mom told us about her doctor's appointment on Friday where when she was getting out of the car to go in she heard something hit the ground. She didn't think anything of it until later in the day when she realized her earring was missing. Well she asked Eric and I if we would go back to the parking lot and look for it. I, in a moment of selfishness, sighed as I was so tired and knew it would be out of our way when we left to go there. Well, we left, and went to see Mom-o and then without Mom knowing, we made our way across town to the doctor's office. I knew if I didn't go Mom would, and she didn't need to leave Dad. I knew we had a slim chance of finding her earring and even if we did it would probably be crushed. Eric parked the van and we got out. He started on one end and I on the other. I kid you not, I took two steps and looked down and there it was, a beautiful pearl earring, in perfect condition. We quickly drove back to Mom and Dad's and walked inside. I then told Mom, with my fist closed, that I was so sorry for being selfish, because if I had continued in my selfishness I would have missed out on a wonderful blessing! I then opened my fist and showed her the pearl earring that she had lost.

God cares! This rang true last night when I found a tiny pearl in a big mighty parking lot, completely unharmed. That earring represented each one of us...that in a big mighty world, in a big mighty universe, we are but tiny creatures, yet He cares and protects each one of us.

What a Mighty God we serve!

1 comment:

LoriGrauso said...

My dear Holly and Laura;

I read your blog and just had to share with you something that happened today to me. You may laugh or you may cry. Either way is good.

At this point with Joe's sister and brother and my Mother and your Dad there are days you just want to lash out at something or someone. God says a wise man keepeth silent. It just all seems so unfair and certainly hard to watch someone so dear in that condition. This person who is supposed to hold you and make it all better and now you find yourself holding him and attempting to make it better. God bless Mark for helping today and also Teresa. Yes, she is one in a million.

Some times that is hard. There are days when Joe and I get in the car and I have to ask him which hospital / nursing home are we headed to today. We have seen more than our share of hospital and nursing homes. It is so sad. It is sad that we can't do anything to make anyone of these people better. That is up to God.

Today I was driving to the pharmacy. We have been so busy with going here and there we have neglected to re-fill what we need to keep our bodies going. We just seem so unimportant. On the way there, there were two kids (my Dad would have called "punks") riding their bikes in the middle of the road. I slowed down so not to hit and when I slowly passed them, they both stuck their tongue out at me. Wow, I wanted to stop them both and say "Do you know what I am going through right now?" But they didn't and I didn't but when I got to the pharmacy they asked how I was. They were certainly not prepared to see a 62 yr. old break down in tears. While my head wanted to just hit something these sweet dear people just gave me a hug and let me cry. God was telling me to cool my anger and let God take care of it all.

I just can't imagine what you must be going through at such young ages. Yesterday, I spent many hours on email with two good friends who helped me laugh and smile some. Today I just cryed. Jim Henderson talked with me and said he wanted to stop by last Saturday after visiting Mother to see Doug but saw several cars and just didn't want to intrude. Please pass that along to your Mom and Dad.

I know this is rambling but if you guys want to lash out or ask why or get angry then call me and we will get angry and lash out together. I think God will understand if we decide to decide to do beforehand.

Jim Henderson did pass along something that meant so much to me to hear. He said everyday he told his Dad that he would see him tomorrow OR see him in Heaven. Freeman would respond "I'll be waiting for you." God, what a blessing Jim was to me today and he let me cry and he cried with me.

I love you guys and wish I could do something anything to help.

Just know you are loved and prayed about everyday.

Aunt Loretta
and Uncle Joe